Microsoft Office, or simply Office, is a family of client software, server software, and services developed by Microsoft. It was first announced by Bill Gates on August 1, 1988, at COMDEX in Las Vegas. Initially a marketing term for an office suite (bundled set of productivity applications), the first version of Office contained Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint. Over the years, Office applications have grown substantially closer with shared features such as a common spell checker, OLE data integration and Visual Basic for Applications scripting language. Microsoft also positions Office as a development platform for line-of-business software under the Office Business Applications brand. On July 10, 2012, Softpedia reported that Office was being used by over a billion people worldwide
What is this workshop about?
This 3-part workshop will help you make the most effective use of Microsoft Office. The workshop will show you some easy but powerful techniques to put you on top of the Office productivity game. Learn the fastest way to make a presentation, the easiest way to make a fully-formatted document and the most essential spreadsheet tricks you should know.
Venue: Online Webinar
Dates and Times: May 13, June 10 and July 8, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Methodology: Hands-on follow-along sessions. Practice data will be supplied to you to try out the examples.
Instructor - Paul Mascarenhas
Paul is a parishioner at St. Josephs and runs his own company that conducts these courses for Canadian corporations and Federal and Provincial Government bodies.
You can read more about his company.
In order to plan for the session, it is encouraged that people interested in participating, submit a registration using this form indicating their interest in the sessions.
Details of each workshop session is described below.
Workshop #1: MAY 13, 2020
- Office-wide concepts – Understanding Outlines – what they mean and how they can help you make documents and presentations very quickly
- Word – The fastest way to go from blank page to fully formatted document (standard document – no newsletters and fancy stuff) using Outlines, Styles, and Themes – Use the power of outlines to structure your documents, apply visual styles for professional look and transfer visually consistent styling across Office documents like Excel spreadsheets
- Word – Must know concepts for anyone making long documents – Headers, Footers, Page Numbering, Watermarks
- Office-wide concepts – Understanding Data Transfer within Office and how data moves from Word to PowerPoint to Excel and how it can be used for many things from dynamic reports to Mail merges
- Word – How to do a Mail Merge
- Office-wide concepts – Understanding Office Themes and how they can cut down the time you spend formatting documents
- Word – Keyboard shortcuts you should master to do your work quickly and professionally
Workshop #2: JUNE 10, 2020
- PowerPoint – Learn the fastest way to go from blank slide to fully formatted slide deck in a matter of minutes (as long as you have planned out your content)
- PowerPoint- Learn about the powerful new features in PowerPoint that take it beyond just a presentation package – create albums, posters, social media graphics, and more.
- PowerPoint – Tips and Tricks - Learn Keyboard shortcuts for show-time navigation and working with the presenter view for seamless presentations
Workshop #3: JULY 8, 2020
- Excel – Understanding Data and how Excel treats data in the spreadsheet
- Excel – Learn important Formula basics and how to use Excel’s Formula Functions
- Excel – Managing Data – working with data – sorting, filtering, identifying duplicates
- Excel – Requests – Get specific ‘How To’ questions addressed
- Plus – A link to free online tutorials for more advanced techniques